If you’re noticing signs of roof damage at your home or commercial property, deciding if you need a straightforward repair or a completely new installation can be tricky. A reputable roofing company can safely check your roof and guide you through next steps. Here’s some helpful information about roof repair versus replacement, plus extra tips.
7 Considerations in Choosing Roof Repair or Replacement
If you are asking yourself whether you should repair or replace your roof, you’re not alone. There are benefits and considerations of both, but you can review these factors to help yourself decide:
- Average roof life span: Most roofs last 15 to 20 years, depending on the elements and roofing materials used. Consider repair if you recently replaced your roof. Think about replacement if your roof is older than 10 years or has reached the end of its expected working life.
- Damage severity: Repair makes sense if your roof has a leak or a few shingles have blown off during a storm. If it has many leaks and extensive damage, replacement may be simpler and more cost-effective.
- Leakage: Roof leaks can be complicated. It may seem like one area is affected, but a leak can be a symptom of more significant problems. An expert contractor can advise whether the leak is isolated or extensive. Don’t ignore leaks — they can lead to rot, mold and structural damage.
- Roofing material: Slate roofs can last up to 100 years, so repair makes more sense. Other roofing materials need more frequent replacement. No matter the material, if the roof is structurally damaged, replacement is the safest.
- Property value: A new roof can add to your property’s curbside appeal. It can be a great selling point if you plan to sell your home or business facility.
- Budget: Cost is significant when weighing roof repair vs. replacement. Repairs are more affordable for minor damage, like fixing a few broken shingles or leaks. Roof replacement is more affordable by square footage. Getting a new roof may cost less if yours needs constant repairs.
- Urgency: If time is a factor and you need a quick solution, repairs can prevent further damage. Don’t postpone extensive maintenance or replacement if you can — minor issues can cause serious damage if not addressed.
At Equity Builders Roofing, we can assist you in deciding whether to repair or replace your roof. Repair makes sense for minor damage, like a small portion needing attention or replacement of a few shingles. Repairs can include fixing:
- Weather and tree damage.
- Broken shingles and other roof components.
- Leaks around your chimney or pipe boot.
- Missing shingles
Pros of Roof Repairs
Repairing your roof increases longevity and prevents extensive damage in the long run.
Roof repairs are mostly more affordable than replacement. Isolated areas of the roof can be cost-effectively fixed or replaced, as not all roof components have the same life span. Some elements of your existing roof may need attention, while others are still good to go for years.
Cons of Roof Repairs
It’s not always easy to match shingle colors when repairing sections of your roof. Shingles change color with exposure to the elements. The visible difference impacts your home’s or commercial property’s curbside appearance.
Additionally, inexperienced contractors can temporarily fix problems like leaks but also worsen a situation by using non-compatible materials. Trained professionals must do repairs, or it can cost you more over time.
Full or partial replacement of your roof is necessary when structural damage has occurred or large sections need work. It’s an investment that boosts curbside appeal and protects the interior of your home or business.
A roof replacement is recommended If it has many leaks and extensive damage, replacement may be simpler and more cost-effective overall.
Pros of Replacement
A replacement has the greatest initial cost but can help you save on long-term repairs. It’s also more affordable per square foot than repairs.
Having a new roof installed can instantly transform your home or business. You can change the aesthetics to suit your preferences and opt for more energy-efficient solutions, helping you save money. You also have peace of mind knowing your roof structure is solid.
Cons of Replacement
Upfront replacement expenses cause the most hesitation, even with owners saving in the long run. Replacement is a big investment and significant undertaking requiring experienced professionals.
The noise from the installation can also be distracting for your family, neighbors, employees or tenants. Consider if there may be an optimal time when a replacement is best suited for your home or business.
Tips to Protect Your Roof
Regularly protecting your roof helps you avoid repairs and replacement for longer. To maintain your roof:
- Keep gutters clean: Clear gutters channel water away from your roof, preventing pooling and roof rot. Contractors can assist you in expertly and safely cleaning your gutters.
- Do routine inspections: Walk around your property and do a quick visual check to see if anything is amiss. Do the same inside. Check for leaks, water stains or indications of wear.
- Trim branches: Branches can damage your roof, so trim overgrown trees to protect it.
- Stop ice dams: When the Bloomington snowfall starts, prevent ice dams with a roof rake. Also, keep your attic insulated and leak-free. For safety, have a contractor remove snow from your rooftop.
- Do routine maintenance: Ensure moss, leaves and other debris are cleared and any problem areas are sealed and addressed. Proactive care reduces long-term costs and increases your roof’s longevity.
Residential Roofing Services
At Equity Builders Roofing, we take care of roof replacement and repairs for your Bloomington home. Our residential roofing services include:
- Fixing leaks.
- Repairing damage from hail, wind and the elements.
- Working with any roof and material type.
- Installing new roofs.
- Performing routine maintenance.
We’re known as the area’s go-to roofing company!
Commercial Roofing Services
Choosing the right company to help with your commercial and industrial roofing replacement and repairs is vital. With us, you can rest assured knowing we’re among the top commercial roofing contractors in the state! We have experience repairing and installing new roofs for retail stores, churches, apartments and industrial buildings.
Benefits of Working With Us
We have the knowledge and experience to ensure your roofing needs are taken care of. Benefits of working with us include:
- Experience: We’re hometown roofers with decades of expertise in all roof types and applications. Our team includes roofing and construction experts, meaning we can help you beyond roof replacement and repairs. We do remodeling too!
- Convenient service: Our team is committed to making your experience seamless. We assist you from start to finish and do frequent check-ins to ensure you’re satisfied.
- No upfront costs: We’ll invoice you once the project is complete and cleanup is done.
- Guaranteed workmanship: You can trust we offer quality solutions. To back this, we guarantee our work.
- Financing options: We offer financing plans to make service easy on your budget.
Contact Us for Roof Repair or Replacement in Bloomington, IN
Equity Builders Roofing has been in the roof repair and replacement business for over three decades. We are a Top of the House Certified Contractor with an A+ Rating on BBB. You can trust that your home or commercial property is in experienced and caring hands.
Feel free to contact us today for an estimate or more information.