Home and property owners often ask us how long does a roof replacement take. It’s a good question with a complex answer. Various factors impact how long an installation takes — it can be anywhere from one day to several weeks. If you’re in the market for a new roof, here is all the information you should know about a roof replacement.
How Long Does It Take to Replace a Roof?
How long it takes to replace a roof depends on the size, materials used, weather and other factors. A professional contractor can give you a more specific answer after inspecting your roof.
On average, residential roof replacements can be completed within one to three days. However, the duration may vary based on factors such as the complexity of the roof, temperature conditions, and accessibility of your property. It’s important to note that commercial buildings may have additional considerations to account for during the replacement process.
Factors that Impact How Long Roof Replacement Will Take
Here are six factors that impact your roof replacement time.
1. Size of Your Roof
The size of your home or business influences replacement time. For example, an expansive estate would take longer than a one-bedroom cottage. Generally, it takes a day to replace the roof of an average house of 3,000 square feet.
Elements like roof design and weather events can push the replacement to an estimated three to five days. In extreme cases, it could take weeks.
2. Type of Material
Your roofing material also affects roof replacement. Each type requires different installation times and methods. If you prefer a complex design over a traditional horizontal format, this also increases the completion time.
Popular materials include:
- Asphalt shingles: These are the quickest to replace — between one to three days.
- Concrete tiles: These tiles take the longest to install at eight to nine days.
- Wood shingles and slate tiles: Both of these materials take from three to eight days to complete.
It is always best to ask your roofing contractor which materials they recommend based on your home or business’s needs. They can give you additional details about what makes the most sense for your situation.
3. Roof Accessibility
Reaching your roof may be difficult if trees and bushes surround your property. Getting to the roof can also pose a challenge if you don’t have parking space or easy paved access to your premises or are in a densely populated neighborhood. These obstacles can complicate delivering building materials and lengthen cleanup time.
4. Roof Slope
The steeper your roof, the more gear contractors need to secure tools and safely navigate the area. Conversely, flatter roofs or roofs with a lower pitch have a slow water runoff. This runoff needs a specific underlayment to prevent water backups and penetration into the building envelope.
Both steep slopes and low pitches require specialized equipment, meaning longer installation times.
5. Roof Damage
If only your shingles need replacing, roof installation can be relatively quick. Structural repairs and fixes to other roofing components below the shingles can lengthen the duration of your installation. This factor is why it’s essential to address small damages before they grow bigger and subsequently require more time, money and effort to remedy.
6. Weather and Seasonality
Weather and seasonality also impact new roof installation. Roofs must be replaced in the right conditions — it shouldn’t rain, snow or be exceptionally hot. Contractors must take additional measures during colder seasons, which means extra time. For example, asphalt shingles don’t stick and seal as effectively in cold weather.
Wintertime means less daylight to work with and more snow, slowing productivity’s well.
In addition, certain weather conditions such as heavy rain, wind, or snow may require emergency roof repair. In this case, it is always best to contact your roofing contractor immediately.
Get Your Roof Replaced Efficiently and Hassle-Free
Don’t wait too long to replace your roof. Discover the time-saving and stress-free process of roof replacement with our experienced team.
What Does Replacing Your Roof Include?
Roof replacement can sound more complex than it is. Professional roofers are trained to install new roofs quickly and expertly, streamlining the experience for you.
- Materials delivery: Once you’ve decided to replace your roof and chosen your materials, the contractor delivers all the components to the site.
- Property protection: Your property is tarped and protected so that the contractor can do the installation efficiently.
- Removal of the old roof: Sections of your existing roof are removed, and if no remedial care is needed, team members start installing the new roof simultaneously.
- Installing the Roofing Material: There are several types of roofing materials, including asphalt shingles, metal roofing, clay tiles, and slate. Each material has its own installation process, but generally involves overlapping the roofing material in rows, securing it to the underlayment, and sealing the seams to prevent water from penetrating the roof.
- Adding Flashing and Ventilation: Flashing is used to seal the joints where the roof meets the walls or other structures, while ventilation helps to regulate the temperature and humidity inside the attic space. Both are important for the long-term health and durability of the roof.
- Cleanup: Once your roof is replaced, the contractor cleans debris and clears the gutters. All tools and equipment are removed from the grounds.
- Final checks: Your roof is then checked by the contractor, and you can give your seal of approval.
When Should You Replace Your Roof?
Consider replacing your roof when it’s:
- Water damaged: Moisture marks, stains and leaks inside your home or business indicate it’s time for a replacement.
- Aged: If your roof has outlived its life span, you can benefit from a new installation. Depending on the materials, the average roof needs replacing within 20 years.
- Sagging or distorted: Signs of sagging, buckling or splitting mean it’s time to replace your roof.
- Covered in corrosives: Mold, fungi and other corrosive materials can damage your home or business facility. If you catch them early with routine maintenance, your contractor can help. Otherwise, they will likely recommend a replacement.
- Missing components: If many shingles or critical materials are missing or damaged, roof replacement is necessary for structural safety.
- Beyond repair: Your contractor will recommend replacement if your roof needs constant repair or if fixing it is no longer an option.
What Are the Benefits of Roof Replacement?
The most important benefits of replacing the roof of your home or business include:
- Lowered energy costs: New roofing materials and installation techniques improve your home’s energy efficiency. Ridding your roof of cracks, holes and patches also means less warm and cold air escaping, assisting your heating and cooling systems.
- Enhanced curb appeal: Your neighbors or customers will instantly notice the spruced-up look of a new roof. It adds to your property’s value and is an exceptional selling point.
- Improved safety: A new installation means peace of mind for you. Your property will be protected against the elements, leaks and high energy bills will be things of the past.
Why Choose Equity Builders Roofing?
We are knowledgeable hometown roofers with extensive experience in all roof types and applications. You can trust us to work quickly to ensure your roof replacement is swiftly completed while not rushing or compromising the quality of the installation. We provide:
- Excellent service: We take you through the entire process, ensuring you’re comfortable. We’ll check back within a week and a month of installation — it’s our commitment to service excellence.
- Quick installations: Our team makes roof replacement fast and convenient. We do everything in our power to make the process convenient for you.
- Quality guaranteed: We back our work with quality guarantees. You can trust us to deliver the best solutions for your Bloomington, IN, home or business.
- Financing plans: We offer financing options to make a new installation easier on your pocket.
- A diverse team: Equity Builders Roofing has full-time roofing and construction experts. Our knowledgeable roofers can replace or repair your commercial or residential roof, and our construction team can remodel your property!
Contact Us for Roof Replacements in Bloomington
Equity Builders Roofing is your go-to roof replacement company in Bloomington. We’ve been in the business for over three decades, ensuring commercial and residential properties have the best-looking and highest-quality roofs in the neighborhood.
Our business is OSHA compliant. We’re also a Top of the House Certified Contractor and have an A+ Rating on BBB. You can trust us to install your new roof with care.
Feel free to contact us for roof replacement estimates or to chat about any questions.